In the United States, the average cost of a data breach is now over $7 million. And with the General Data Protection Regulation set to go into effect, the average cost of a data breach is expected to rise even higher. It is caused by human error in more than 90% of cases. One of the easiest ways to prevent costly data breaches is to invest in security awareness training for your employees.
What is security awareness training?
Security awareness training is a type of security training that helps employees understand and identify potential security risks. It covers a variety of topics, including social engineering, phishing, passwords, and mobile security. It also offers the greatest opportunity for strengthening a business’ cybersecurity posture. Source well experienced and professional security consulting firms of the best ways to train staff about security awareness.
Why is security awareness training essential in the workplace?
There are many reasons why security awareness training is essential in the workplace; here they are:
- Security awareness training can prevent data breaches. Data breaches can be costly, both in terms of the financial impact and the damage to a business’ reputation. By educating employees about security risks and proper security protocols, organizations can help prevent data breaches from occurring.
- Security breaches are on the rise. The number of data breaches is increasing every year, making it more likely that your business will be targeted.
- Cyber criminals are becoming more sophisticated. As technology evolves, so do the methods used by cyber criminals. Businesses need to keep up with the latest security threats to stay one step ahead.
- Employees are the weakest link in the security chain. No matter how strong a business’ security defenses are, they can be compromised by a single employee clicking on a malicious link or opening a malicious attachment.
- Security awareness training can help employees spot threats. By providing employees with the knowledge and skills they need to stay safe online, businesses can help prevent costly data breaches.
- Security awareness training can help reduce the number of successful attacks. Businesses that provide security awareness training to their employees have been shown to experience fewer successful attacks.
- Security awareness training can help improve employee productivity. In addition to reducing the number of successful attacks, security awareness training can also help improve employee productivity by teaching them how to avoid wasting time on potential threats.
- Security awareness training can help improve employee morale. Employees who feel like they are being proactive in protecting the businesses data are more likely to be engaged and motivated in their work.
- Security awareness training can help ensure compliance with regulations. Businesses that are subject to industry-specific regulations, such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, must provide security awareness training to employees to ensure compliance.
Providing employees with the knowledge and skills they need to stay safe online is essential to preventing costly data breaches. Security awareness training is an investment in the future of your business. By investing in security awareness training today, businesses can help protect themselves from costly data breaches tomorrow.