A phone call between US President Donald Trump and Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull has called into question a refugee resettlement deal.
The Washington Post reported Trump called the conversation “the worst by far” of his calls with world leaders that day, and cut it short.
Trump later tweeted that he would “study this dumb deal“.
Struck with the Obama administration, it would see up to 1,250 asylum seekers to Australia resettled in the US.
Australia has controversially refused to accept them and instead holds them on offshore detention centers on the Pacific nations of Nauru and Papua New Guinea.
Turnbull said he was disappointed details of the call, which he described as “very frank and forthright”, had been made public. However, he said Trump had assured him the deal would go ahead.
He told a Sydney radio station that “the report that the president hung up is not correct”.
Last Friday, Trump signed an executive order temporarily banning the entry of refugees and people from seven Muslim-majority countries.
Australia has since been seeking to confirm its arrangement would go ahead.
On Monday, days after the immigration ban was implemented, Turnbull said he had spoken to Trump and thanked him for agreeing to uphold the deal.
On Wednesday, US presidential spokesman Sean Spicer also said Trump intended to uphold the deal.