Syria Evacuations of Besieged Towns Continue After Two-day Halt
The evacuation of Syrian civilians and fighters from four besieged towns, part of a swap deal between the warring sides, resumed on Friday after a 48-hour halt, state media and a monitoring group said.
Five buses carrying rebels and their relatives from towns near the capital left a transit point outside Aleppo city where they had been waiting to cross into rebel territory, the state-owned news channel Ikhbariyah said.
Meanwhile, ten busloads of people from the rebel-encircled Shi’ite towns of al-Foua and Kefraya arrived in Aleppo city, which is under government control, al-Ikhbariyah said.
Thousands of evacuees from the two Shi’ite towns have been stranded for two days at a second nearby staging area outside Aleppo, where a bomb attack on an evacuation convoy last week killed scores of people.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the 48-hour suspension was due to rebel demands for the government to free 750 prisoners as part of the agreement.
- Montenegro to Ratify Joining Nato as Russia Bans Wine Imports
- Albanian PM Announces New President Candidate
- Germany Approves Partial Burqa Ban
- Federica Mogherini Condemns Attacks on MPs in Parliament
- EU Commissioner Hahn Condemns Developments in Macedonia's Parliament
- North Korea: New Missile Defense System Ready in Days